Re: [Monotone-devel] Tailor

From: rghetta
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Tailor
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 08:22:51 +0200

Brian May wrote:
"rghetta" == rghetta  <address@hidden> writes:

    rghetta> Sorry, I've lost you. The source scm says: rename
    rghetta> statistics to statistics/squid. Do you mean it should be
    rghetta> interpreted as rename stats to temp, create dir stats,
    rghetta> rename temp to stats/squid ?  Tailor sure doesn't do
    rghetta> anything like that. Given the differences in rename
    rghetta> support among scms, I doubt Tailor could do this sort of
    rghetta> inference in a scm-independent way.  Perhaps the monotone
    rghetta> backend could be enhanced to work this way, however.

No temp file is required, as the baz update operation has already
replaced the file with a directory as required. All that I needed was
to type in "mtn rm statistics" followed by "mtn add statistics".
Yes, the working copy is already updated, but you need to tell what happened to monotone. Baz (via Tailor) reports only a rename from statistics to statistics/squid, which fails if executed directly. If this rename makes sense, as Nathaniel says, then perhaps it must be broken in two or more operations to make it accetable to monotone.
I see two alternatives:
- mtn drop statistics + mtn add statistics/squid (implicitly adding the directory statistics) -mtn rename statistics temp, mtn rename temp statistics/squid (again adding implicitly the new directory statistics) Since baz said "rename" the latter solution seems better, but might be difficult to implement in Tailor. Note: Tailor currently does nothing of the above: if the source backend says "rename a to b" it tries to execute exactly this operation.

The biggest problem I had with entering the commands manually is that
"mtn add statistics" automatically added all files under the directory
too.
The monotone backend for tailor skips explicit directory addition exactly to avoid this problem.

Riccardo