Re: [Monotone-devel] Dump the database in human readable form

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Dump the database in human readable form
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:21:13 -0700

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:28:31PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> I'm importing small test CVS repositories to monotone. Is there some
> way to dump the entire monotone database in an easily understandable
> form so that I can check if the import was done correctly?

Do you have something in mind as an "easily understandable form"?  I
have trouble imagining any dump of an entire VCS repo that was easily
understandable :-).

Monotone's raw data structures are basically human-readable, easily
parseable, chunks of text.  You can pull them out with "automate
get_revision REVISION-ID", "automate get_manifest_of REVISION-ID",
"automate get_file FILE-ID", "automate certs REVISION-ID".  You might
also find other parts of automate useful, e.g. if you want to traverse
the whole graph in topological order you can do
  $ mtn automate select i: | mtn automate toposort address@hidden
to get a sorted list of revision ids to iterate over.  (Replace "i:"
with "b:BRANCHNAME" if you want to look at just a single branch.
Etc.)

Details:
  http://venge.net/monotone/docs/Automation.html

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould