[Monotone-devel] Re: Fwd: VCS comparison table

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Fwd: VCS comparison table
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:53:40 +0100

Graydon Hoare <address@hidden> writes:

> Jon Smirl wrote:

[...]

>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/28881/focus=28881
>
> Oh dear, what a tiring thread!
>
> Each of the tools that has emerged in the past 5 or 6 years has been
> feeling its way blindly along the same highly constrained product
> landscape with many peaks and valleys in simplicity, performance,
> reliability and convenience. Each tool's proponents wish to claim the
> global maximum for their champion.

I know what you mean, yeah.  It's exactly the kind of thread that you
absolutely never want to have to read in a web browser; you need a
proper mail or new client so you can read the occasional message and
ignore most of them.

Here's a (possibly) interesting message:
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/29382>.

Specifically I found this surprising:

    For example, the whole "rebase" thing (or explicitly making
    cherry-picking easy) is something that a number of kernel people
    do, and even if I have to admit to not liking the practice very
    much (it kind of hides the "true" development history), it does
    have huge advantages, and it makes history a lot easier to read.

I thought I remembered that as being something that he specifically
wanted (and disliked certain other systems for not providing).

[...]

> The tools are still evolving, though, and continue to steal all each
> other's good ideas, when possible. When one finds a new feature that
> *can* be copied to another (without violating a contradictory early
> assumption), typically the feature *is* copied.

MagicSelectors would be neat.  I keep meaning to have a go at
reimplementing the selectors in monotone, so that some things that git
can reference would be similarly referenceable in monotone.