[Monotone-devel] automate stdio extensions

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: [Monotone-devel] automate stdio extensions
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 01:05:04 -0700

Right now, 'automate stdio's parser silently ignores anything between
the "e" that ends one command, and the "l" that starts the next.  I
guess the idea was to make it easier to add extensions in the future?
And we are talking about using this space for extensions (in
particular, for key/value style arguments as well as positional style
arguments).  But, this seems broken... if a process starts feeding us
key/value arguments (for example), and we are an old monotone that
does not understand them, then we will silently do something different
than expected.  Worse, it's entirely possible that those arguments
will include the character "l", at which point we will lose sync
entirely...

So am I missing something, or should we make sure that gibberish
between "e" and "l" causes an error before we release the next
version?

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."