Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync transport encryption?

From: Jeronimo Pellegrini
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] netsync transport encryption?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 16:39:03 -0300

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 02:50:36PM -0400, Cem Karan wrote:
> Hi all, I've been asked by my boss to evaluate various SCM options to
> see what fits our needs best.  I found Monotone via the Better SCM
> Initiative (http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/), and it looks
> like it fits our needs quite well.  I saw that a LOT of work has been
> done in authentication, something that hasn't been done in many of
> the other SCM systems I've seen.  I also saw on the mailing list
> archives from October of 2005 a really long discussion on how to
> implement transport layer encryption as well as authentication in
> Monotone, but no conclusions.  I didn't see anything more recent than
> that, and I was wondering if Monotone was going to natively support
> encryption as well as authentication (not in the mailing list
> archives, nor in the 0.30 source files).

Apso could be an alternative (instead of encrypting the connection, you
encrypt the database and synchronize the encrypted DB). However, it's
really far from being ready for production (it's a prototype).
(http://aleph0.info/apso/)

> I'm aware that I can use an
> SSH tunnel, but I just wanted to see if Monotone had already solved
> all of that.

Out of curiosity... Why isn't SSH an option for you? You could set up
users to stay in a chroot environment and only let them have access to
the monotone executable and the database, or something like that.

J.