Re: [Monotone-devel] Improving the note_netsync_* hooks for logging

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Improving the note_netsync_* hooks for logging
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 12:16:36 -0500

On Wed, 2006-10-25 at 11:24 -0500, Matthew A. Nicholson wrote:
> Timothy Brownawell wrote:
>
> > Currently it uses these, somewhat based on the HTTP codes:
> >   const static int no_error = 200;
> >   const static int bad_request = 400;
> >   const static int protocol_error = 401;
> >   const static int permission_error = 403;
> >   //const static int other_error = 500;
> >   const static int connection_broken = 504;
>
> You could have also used errno style error codes, although HTTP codes
> are probably more widely known (maybe not).

Really, it's not just HTTP. There's also FTP and SMTP (and probably
others?) that use similar kinds of 3-digit error codes. What I'm
thinking here is that since the purpose of these is to allow for
logging, it would be good to be more-or-less consistent with the kinds
of error codes logged by other network services.

Of course, I've just looked briefly at online lists of those error
codes, rather than digging up the RFCs that explain them. So, some of
the numbers I picked probably aren't the best choice and should be
changed.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net