Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone CVS import failed.

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone CVS import failed.
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 12:12:41 -0700

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 08:54:32PM +0200, Ulf Ochsenfahrt wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> >Isn't bzr based on svn?  Does this mean we've also accomplished
> >conversion to bzr?
>
> Nope. bzr is a rewrite of baz (in python), which is based on tla, which
> is/was a rewrite of larch (in C). larch was originally written by Tom
> Lord in shell script.
>
> The bzr people claim complete distributiveness, which IIRC wasn't true
> for baz, and which definitely isn't true for svn.

I'm not sure how you measure the completeness of distributiveness, but
it is the case that bzr is not just a rewrite of baz but also a
complete re-design.  There are a few almost stylistic hints that the
same team was involved with both code bases (e.g., both have a concept
called an "inventory", which is like a roster but with public node
ids), but bzr is really an entirely different system from anything
else.

"Of course, the entire effort is to put oneself
 Outside the ordinary range
 Of what are called statistics."
  -- Stephan Spender