Re: [Monotone-devel] Hosting for ViewMTN

From: hendrik
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Hosting for ViewMTN
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:43:08 -0500

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 12:16:17PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> Hi all
>
> It looks like I'm leaving my current employer, where I've been hosting
> ViewMTN. Would anyone care to volunteer hosting for
> viewmtn.angrygoats.net? I have a virtual server in the states, but
> it's only got 128MB RAM and is quite heavily loaded, and so probably
> unsuitable.
>
> Recent ViewMTN is a lot kinder on a server in terms of resources, but
> memory is probably good. I think 128MB or so for viewmtn would be
> about right.

I expect you'll get a better offer, but here goes:

I have two sites.  I may have the space, but I may not have the
bandwidth (home-grade DSL lines). Still, I might be able to park the
files until you find something better.  How much disk space does it
take?  How large are the files?

My home site is fronted by a 100MHz Pentium which is not really set up
for web applications at the moment.  In particular, I haven't got
port-forwarding to work yet, so I can't offload to one of my other home
machines.

The other site is a friend's.  I'll have to check with him first: same
bandwidth problems, and I don't know if he has the time to work on this
in the next week or so.

Whether these sites can do the trick or not, and whether they are ready
on time or not,  I might still park the files and upload them later
where desired.  If your entire site is summed up as a monotone
repository, for example, I could perhaps just sync with it and your
stuff would be safe until you find something else.

How mich disk space is required?  More than a few gigabytes?

Does the viewmtn site contain all those repositories I see on the fromt
page?  Or does it just provide a web interface to repositories stored
elsewhere?

-- hendrik