Re: [Monotone-devel] BUG: No add + commit after propagate?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] BUG: No add + commit after propagate?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:59:00 -0800

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 12:41:13PM +0200, Evangelos Tsagkas wrote:
> I tried to add a file to a branch after I had propagated the changes
> on that branch to my main trunk.
> I received the following:
>
> mtn: warning: restriction excludes addition of
> 'quidoc/custom/config/import' but includes addition of
> 'quidoc/custom/config/import/file_import.xml'

The propagate isn't the problem -- the problem is that you added the
directory "quidoc/custom/config/import/", and a file in it called
"quidoc/custom/config/import/file_import.xml", but then ran:
  $ mtn ci quidoc/custom/config/import/file_import.xml
(or equivalent).  This tells monotone that you want to _only_ commit
changes that happened to that file... so for instance, you do _not_
want to commit the addition of quidoc/custom/config/import.  But you
can't add the file while leaving out the parent directory, so monotone
complains and gives up.  Solution: just do an unrestricted checkin,
without passing any filenames on the command line.

Lots of people find that error message confusing... would love to hear
any suggestions on how to make clearer what's going on.

> mtn: fatal: std::logic_error:
> /home/lapo/packaging/tmp/monotone-0.30/roster.cc:188: invariant
> 'fetching nonexistent entry from children' violated
> mtn: this is almost certainly a bug in monotone.
> mtn: please send this error message, the output of 'mtn --full-version',
> mtn: and a description of what you were doing to address@hidden

...Then there's some sort of bug in the logic that is trying to
generate nice error messages for this case, which causes the crash
and debug log to be generated.  I think this might be fixed in 0.31,
we fixed a few things like this between 0.30 and 0.31.  This code
only gets run after monotone has already decided that the commit is
invalid, though.

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music