Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report: windows monotone can't check out files

From: Ilkka
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] bug report: windows monotone can't check out files
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:22:40 +0200

(Sorry for probably breaking the thread, but I wasn't subscribed
earlier. Anyway:

Nathaniel wrote:
On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 11:46:17PM +0100, Thomas Keller wrote:
> Jack Lloyd schrieb:
> >Are you sure it is the parenthesis that is the problem? I had thought
> >that the : character was not allowed in a Windows filename, since it

Ah, of course it's the colon. I've been away from windows so long that
I forgot what constitutes a valid filename already.

> c) at least bail out with some nicer error message (and not with "almost
> certainly a bug in monotone"), like "The file xyz couldn't be checked
> out on your system because it contains characters in its name which are
> invalid on this platform. Consider renaming the file first." or
> something like that.

After a bit of thought I would pick c).

Anyway, it's kind of a drag that one can't even rename or remove the
offending file in Windows, it seems. I ended up installing monotone
into cygwin and performing the operation there.

--
Ilkka Poutanen [http://ilkankuvat.vuodatus.net]
"And unto this, Conan;"