[Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: line endings with 0.31
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:57:20 +0000

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker <address@hidden> writes:

> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 21 Nov 2006 04:07:26 -0800, Larry
> Hastings <address@hidden> said:
>
> larry> I should think the canonical form is obvious: an unadorned LF
> larry> should be the eol character as stored in the repository.  That
> larry> way it matches what C expects when you read it in as binary,
> larry> and on UNIX you never have to do any conversion.  (Though you
> larry> should still scan the file on every check-in and complain if
> larry> its EOL convention doesn't match what you expected...)
>
> The trouble with having canonical storage format in the database is
> that a screwup is very hard to change, and basically just means that
> you have kill the revision and start over with better values.

Why is that so horrible?  That's what we'd do with CVS (or
subversion): fix up the setting (-kb, svn:eol-style, or whatever), and
commit the correct value.  Why shouldn't we do the same with monotone?
That means that one revision's broken, and there's a bigger delta than
we might like, but that seems acceptable.

Even better if we spot the problem before syncing, of course, because
monotone permits the revision to be removed.  With subversion that's
not really practical.

[...]