[Monotone-devel] A patch for monotone.el

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] A patch for monotone.el
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:33:35 -0800

It had been a while since I last tried monotone's Emacs integration
library, monotone.el, so I grabbed a fresh copy this morning. It
works, but can use some nudging along. Attached is a small patch,
tested only on XEmacs for now.

First, I couldn't get the menu to work with XEmacs, so I added a
dependency on the easymenu library to define the menu in ways I've
seen done with a few other packages.

I adjusted the handling of interactive "scope" specification to the
commands that can deal with files, subtrees, or the entire tree (by
way of the the `monotone-arg-decode' function).

Also, I made the command output buffer (displayed with view-mode)
disappear upon exiting it with 'q'.

As presented here, the menu won't appear in the proper buffers, the
problem being that there's no "monotone-mode" being entered and hence
no way to decide when a given buffer should present the
monotone-specific menu. I've seen both the CVS and ClearCase
integration packages figure this out by defining a hook in
find-file-hooks that determines whether the current buffer is looking
at something within a repository. It makes opening such buffers
slightly slower, as there's usually a call to an external program, or
maybe just a search up the directory tree.

If anyone thinks such a tactic is worth pursuing, or has a different
heuristic to use to decide which buffers should be monotone-enabled, I
can assist with the implementation.

--
Steven E. Harris