Re: [Monotone-devel] A patch for monotone.el

From: Felix
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] A patch for monotone.el
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:48:57 -0800

"Zack Weinberg" <address@hidden>:
> On 1/18/07, Steven E. Harris <address@hidden> wrote:
> > As presented here, the menu won't appear in the proper buffers, the
> > problem being that there's no "monotone-mode" being entered and hence
> > no way to decide when a given buffer should present the
> > monotone-specific menu. I've seen both the CVS and ClearCase
> > integration packages figure this out by defining a hook in
> > find-file-hooks that determines whether the current buffer is looking
> > at something within a repository. It makes opening such buffers
> > slightly slower, as there's usually a call to an external program, or
> > maybe just a search up the directory tree.
>
> I would really like to see this done, as then monotone.el would
> interoperate better with other VC-integration packages.  One does
> occasionally need to edit files in some other, inferior VC system,
> after all. :)
>
> I guess the thing to do is scan up the directory hierarchy for a _MTN
> directory...

yeah, I've got a partial vc-mtn.el that searches up parent
directories for _MTN.

(defun vc-mtn-responsible-p (file)
  (and (file-directory-p "~/.monotone")
       (vc-mtn--workspace file)))

vc-mtn--workspace caches the answer for each dir it looks at, so
it's usually pretty quick.  no cache invalidation strategy yet,
and there are many vc integration things missing, so it's not
generally usable yet.  (it's been months since I looked at the
code last, don't think I'll be able to continue working on it
anytime soon.)