Re: [Monotone-devel] a little *-merge history

From: Nathaniel J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] a little *-merge history
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:44:33 -0800

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 02:57:14AM +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:
> Nathaniel J. Smith wrote:
> > So, I've been thinking -- always dangerous -- about merging again
>
> Ah!
>
> I've done that dangerous thing too, and finally managed to read it all,
> step by step, and finally been able if not to the extent of grokking, at
> least to have a base understanding of that star-stuff (or is it
> asterisk-stuff?).

"mark stuff" is sort of the preferred term, though I admit that I
always catch myself calling it star-merge in my own head.  The problem
is that "star merge" means something _completely_ different (and a bit
batty) in old arch terminology...

> For any latecomers (like me) in the mathematical theory of merges, I did
> follow this path (I hope it doesn't miss too many steps):
>
> unique-*-merge
> 2005-08-06 "[cdv-devel] more merging stuff (bit long...)"
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.monotone.devel/4297
>
> multi-*-merge
> 2005-08-30 "improvements to *-merge"
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.revctrl/93
>
> deterministic-*-merge
> 2007-01-12 "Deterministic *-merge"
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.revctrl/197

Yeah.  Probably easier than remembering all this is to remember the
canonical wiki page, which links to all of these...:
  http://revctrl.org/MarkMerge