Re: [Monotone-devel] Error running `mtn list ignored` in monotone 0.32 o

From: Rob Schoening
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Error running `mtn list ignored` in monotone 0.32 on windows XP
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:43:46 -0800

The workaround is simple.  The severity is low.

Call me shallow, but if I downloaded 0.32 for the first time in order to evaluate monotone, this would probably cause me to put it back on the shelf.  Lack of versioned policy, performance, or other lack of features probably would not.

That's not a criticism, suggestion, instruction, or anything of the kind.  Just some (annoying) feedback from an end user.  ;-)

RS

On 2/2/07, Christian Ohler <address@hidden> wrote:
Thomas Keller, 2007-02-02:

> Daniel Atallah schrieb:
>> $ mtn list ignored
>> mtn: fatal: std::logic_error: paths.cc:308: invariant
>> 'I(is_valid_internal(data()))' violated
>
> Has this already been fixed for 0.33?

It's still there.  I looked into it briefly about a week ago; fixing it
turned out to require more familiarity with the code than I have.
Here's what I recall.

It's the same issue as the xfail test in ls_unknown_in_subdir.

It can be worked around by calling ls unknown/ls missing from the
workspace root with a restriction argument instead of calling it from a
subdirectory.

The bug was introduced by the addition of a call to
normalize_external_path in bookkeeping_path::is_bookkeeping_path in
460c36c1128986f68bcf5e9402d2b5abbff19fd5.  However, removing that call
breaks other tests.

When walk_tree_recursive calls bookkeeping_path::is_bookkeeping_path to
avoid descending into _MTN, the normalization in
bookkeeping_path::is_bookkeeping_path prepends the current working
directory to the path; the resulting (bogus) path no longer starts with
_MTN and is therefore not detected as a bookkeeping path.

After failing to detect that it's in fact looking at _MTN, the code
ultimately aborts with the above assertion.

I hope this helps.

Christian Ohler.