Re: [Monotone-devel] multiple (3+) ancestors

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] multiple (3+) ancestors
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 12:14:16 -0800

Hi,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
... I don't see a good reason *to* remove that limitation, though.  I
call YAGNI.

mtn cvs_import. Supporting multiple ancestors would allow us to store cross-revision-tags or cross-revision-branchpoints in some meaningful manner. In monotone, you'd have to add an artificial revision which can then be tagged (or branched from) to equal the CVS tag.

Having > 10 ancestors probably isn't that meaningfull. However, having the revision somehow connected to the rest of your code helps.

Also, I could imagine workspace merge to be able to merge several revisions into one. Not sure how useful that really is, though.

Please also note, that this does not necessarily have to do anything with merging. It's more like not adding a needless limitation to the DAG structure.

Markus