[Monotone-devel] usage question

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: [Monotone-devel] usage question
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:31:50 -0800

I have a question that is a user's question, not a Monotone developer's question. I apologize in advance if this list isn't the appropriate place. Please let me know if it isn't.

I've been using Monotone for about a year for personal projects, but only in the most trivial way -- by myself and on only one machine. Inspired by an excellent talk at Google last week by Nathaniel Smith, I'm hoping to use it for more complicated projects. To start with, I want to use it to merge different copies of my twenty-three years of accumulated Emacs configuration files. I have copies of this tree on different computers and want to merge them and keep them in sync from now on.

Because all of my files have existed since before I started using Monotone, I have multiple versions of the same file. I couldn't find anything in the manual about what happens if I check the same file into two different databases, then sync them and try to merge. I tried an experiment with a branch containing only one file (but two versions). The sync of the two databases went fine, but <mtn merge> gave this error:

  mtn: 2 heads on branch 'com.speechcode.test'
  mtn: [left]  b54113a3350992e615a5e56bd3e435c95c641b3e
  mtn: [right] ccfa379b24f9bbc63629ce0dbebe1e8d0e0b0941
mtn: warning: rename target conflict: nodes 3, 1, both want parent 0, name
  mtn: warning: resolve non-content conflicts and then try again.
  mtn: error: merge failed due to unresolved conflicts

What's the right way to proceed here? Is there a way to have Monotone prompt me to merge just the files that don't match, running a manual merge tool as necessary? Is there any problem starting with two versions of a file that don't, in fact, have a common ancestor in Monotone?

I'm not on <monotone-devel> (yet), so please include me in To or CC on any replies.

Thanks very much for all your help, and thank you for Monotone, too. It's so nice to use a practical open source version control system with an excellent theoretical basis.