[Monotone-devel] permission denied for new user and no reason

From: Boris
Subject: [Monotone-devel] permission denied for new user and no reason
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:37:11 +0200

I added a new user to a project. However he can't connect (to a central server) but gets a "permission denied" error. The file read-permission basically looks like this:

pattern "com.example.project*"
allow "user1"
allow "user2"

pattern "com.example.project.tests*"
allow "user3"
allow "user4"

When user4 connects he sees this:

mtn: warning: protocol error while processing peer a.b.c.d: 'received network error: denied 'user4' read permission for 'com.example.project.tests*' excluding '' because of branch 'com.example.project.tests.a''

I see the same on the server side:

mtn: warning: error: denied 'user4' read permission for 'com.example.project.tests*' excluding '' because of branch 'com.example.project.tests.a'
mtn: peer a.b.c.d:port write failed in working state (error)

As far as I see the error message doesn't make much sense: If user4 has read-permission for com.example.project.tests* he should have read-permission for com.example.project.tests.a, too?

Everyone uses monotone 0.31. The server is running on Solaris, the clients use the Windows-port and I Cygwin. I had no problem like that before (although I haven't heard from user3 yet if he could connect successfully; there is no problem however for user1 and user2).

Any ideas?

Boris