Re: [Monotone-devel] Execute by default?

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Execute by default?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:37:40 +0100

Nathaniel Smith, 2007-02-16:

It seems like always "executing" is the Right Thing for
add/drop/rename/pivot_root/whatever-else-I'm-forgetting.

I agree.

Another way to handle file removal is what darcs does: On commit, assume that any files that are missing have been deleted. (Similar to an implicit mtn drop --missing.)

With this model, renamings are the only operations that the revision control system needs to be told about; deletions are inferred (just like changes to file content). I have always found this model the most convenient to work with.

mtn's current "files are missing, please use either mtn drop or mtn revert" always forces me to take additional action, while a "files are missing, I'll assume they should be dropped" would be what I want in almost every case, with no additional action required. This is about as good as a user interface can get. In those cases where I want something different, I can abort.

Obviously, to make this safe, the "MTN:" hints in the commit message editor would have to make it clear which files are being automatically dropped.

Really, we already do the same thing for changes to file content, without any "file contents have changed, please use either mtn change-content or mtn revert".

Incidentally, this would also simplify the consistency constraints on the workspace -- "missing items" would no longer be an inconsistency -- and get rid of related bugs, such as "mtn ls unknown" aborting when some files are missing.

Christian Ohler.