Re: [Monotone-devel] Policy branches - first steps

From: Paul Crowley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Policy branches - first steps
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:26:03 +0000

From the deafening silence, I'm guessing that I might need to make that one a bit more bite-size to get some discussion!

At the summit, we had some very interesting ideas and proposals for how policy branches could work. These proposals handled not only policy, but namespaces and branch renaming, IDs for developers, server control and more. A number of possibilities were put forward.

However, right now I'm proposing we start by doing the very least we can do to introduce something like policy branches without changing anything else. We will want more sophistication for a further release, but this will get us started and help us learn about how this stuff plays out in practice, which can be more valuable than any amount of theoretical discussion. So here's the proposal in brief.

* A policy branch contains one or more policies
* A policy lists by name the branches it applies to
* It can also indicate that it applies to all branches that start with a particular prefix
* It lists the keys which can commit to that branch
* or it delegates all decisions about it to another branch

So: nothing in there to handle branch renames, or to name developers. You can't arrange for one branch to have two names because everything is explicit about the name it applies to. A policy may not introduce ambiguity. Nothing else in Monotone needs to change to handle the policies, as far as I can tell.

Does that seem like the right way forward?
--
  __
\/ o\ Paul Crowley, address@hidden