Re: [Monotone-devel] Policy branches - first steps

From: Paul Crowley
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Policy branches - first steps
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:54:19 +0000

Timothy Brownawell wrote:
So: nothing in there to handle branch renames, or to name developers.

...I don't see how this would be extended to handle branch renaming.

A different idea that's been floating around is to have branch certs be
(project name, random_id), and then the policy branch (probably named
(project, null_id)) contains a {random_id => branch_name} mapping.

Yes, this is the sort of thing that policy branches will probably contain eventually. However, changing over to this form of branches will invalidate all the certs currently floating out there and so introduce a Flag Day.

Monotone has a flag day coming up in any case, because of the move away from SHA-1. Graydon (rightly) wants to change the certificate format; since that's also a flag day event that should probably be done on the same day. We should move towards policy-named branches at the same time.

For that reason, I'd prefer to get policy branches in place first before the flag day. I think we'll find that having them around will make the transition easier, because we'll be able to specify various things about what sorts of certs we want in the policy branches themselves. And more importantly, I think that getting some experience in using policy branches will be absolutely invaluable in designing the next revision of how they work.

It may be possible to transition from this proposal to the more sophisticated one without breaking everything; that's one reason I've put everything in a "version_1" subdirectory, so we can add anything we need to to policy branches.
--
  __
\/ o\ Paul Crowley, address@hidden