Re: [Monotone-devel] Status including unknown files?

From: Zbynek Winkler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Status including unknown files?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 14:25:54 +0100

On 2/23/07, Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 06:01:54PM +1100, William Uther wrote:
> Hi,
>   Currently mtn status doesn't list unknown files, you have to use
> mtn ls unknown to do that.
>
>   Is there a reason for this?  (Should I add it to the wishlist, or
> should I add it to the FAQ explaining why not to add it to the
> wishlist?)

The basic design tradeoff that other VCSes have made here is that
those that value UI over speed (e.g. darcs) list unknown files here,
and those that value speed over UI (e.g. hg) do not (because scanning
for unknown files is quite an expensive operation, you have to call
readdir() on everything).

I use hg regularly and it lists unknown files by default. I do not experience
any speed issues but my workspaces are not that large.

Zbynek