Re: [Monotone-devel] default branch for "monotone sync"

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] default branch for "monotone sync"
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:28:31 +0100

On Sunday 25. February 2007, you wrote:
> On 2/25/07, Thomas Moschny <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The scheme used by monotone is file:/path/to/db.mtn, see
> > http://monotone.ca/docs/Other-Transports.html#Other-Transports .
> >
> > This in fact seems to be in accordance with RFC 2396.
>
> This is interesting!  Does it mean that browsers have done it wrong?

Well, RFC 2396 obsoletes RFC 1738, and that had (in section 3.10):

   The file URL scheme is used to designate files accessible on a
   particular host computer. This scheme, unlike most other URL schemes,
   does not designate a resource that is universally accessible over the
   Internet.

   A file URL takes the form:

       file://<host>/<path>

   where <host> is the fully qualified domain name of the system on
   which the <path> is accessible, and <path> is a hierarchical

RFC 2396 did not update that special part. So I guess one could argue for both
variants, file:///... and file:/... .

- Thomas