Re: [Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:56:02 -0800

On Sun, Feb 25, 2007 at 01:32:36AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I just pushed some changes I did on the train up to Los Angeles (I'm
> visiting my sister for the weekend).  There's a new branch
> net.venge.monotone.deregexp, on which I have begun the process of
> removing monotone's dependencies on regular expressions, as discussed
> at the summit.  Specifically, uri.cc no longer uses 'em, and a
> spurious #include of <boost/regex.hpp> has been removed from
> netsync.cc. This could probably be flushed to mainline all by itself,
> but I didn't.

Any reason why not?

> * diff_patch.cc: for the show-containing-function feature.

...How can we possibly eliminate this?  It's necessary if we want to
be consistent with diff(1), and I can't think of any other approach
that would be nearly as convenient anyway... (i.e., trying to use
globs here does not seem like a winning plan).

Of course, it is not the end of the world if we decide to keep pcre
for some uses; and if we are keeping some regexp engine around, that
might simplify some other things.  (Don't have to rewrite the globish
matcher by hand, etc.)

The best book on programming is still Strunk and White.