[Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: [Monotone-devel] net.venge.monotone.deregexp
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:32:36 -0800

I just pushed some changes I did on the train up to Los Angeles (I'm
visiting my sister for the weekend).  There's a new branch
net.venge.monotone.deregexp, on which I have begun the process of
removing monotone's dependencies on regular expressions, as discussed
at the summit.  Specifically, uri.cc no longer uses 'em, and a
spurious #include of <boost/regex.hpp> has been removed from
netsync.cc. This could probably be flushed to mainline all by itself,
but I didn't.

The remaining uses of regexps, in (roughly) ascending order of
difficulty in eliminating them, are:

* packet.cc: to parse packets.
* globish.{cc,hh}: to implement globs.
* std_hooks.lua: for .mtn-ignore.
* diff_patch.cc: for the show-containing-function feature.
* tester.lua: used in greplines, grep, and when determining the set
of tests to run
* lua.cc: exposed to Lua as regex.search (trivially goes away once
all uses from Lua are gone)

zw