[Monotone-devel] Encouraging merges?

From: William Uther
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Encouraging merges?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:14:59 +1100

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it would be possible to have a netsync server that checked whether after the sync it would have multiple heads on any branch, and reject any such syncs.

To use such a server, you'd have to do a pull and a local merge before you push. If someone else commits before you push, you might have to pull and merge again (just like a commit on cvs or svn).

At the moment there doesn't seem to be any way of enforcing this 'single head on the central server' constraint. I don't know anything about the netsync protocol as yet. How soon would the server know that it was going to end up with multiple heads? In the initial "agree on what we're sending" phase? Where is the best place to learn about netsync?

Cheers,

Will        :-}

P.S. This is not a request for the current project I'm working on. I was thinking of using monotone with undergrads though, and they often require some constraints for their own good.