Re: [Monotone-devel] Fatal error: std::runtime_error

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Fatal error: std::runtime_error
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:16:07 +0200

Hi,

Jens Seidel wrote:
Because of the last column in the output:
mtn: Bytes rein | Bytes raus | Zertifikate rein | Revisionen rein
mtn:    192,0 k |    105,2 k |           52/132 |           33/33

Ah, sure. But in this case here, you are still missing 80 certificates, no?

But now it failed again! strace output:
$ strace -p 9521
Process 9521 attached - interrupt to quit
select(7, [6], [], [6], {21439, 988000}

So monotone is waiting in a select()... are you sure the connection to
the server is fine? Maybe save a tcpdump and check that.

This remembers me that I had to restart monotone during the last large
update every 100-200 revisions because it froze. It was really funny:
I started it, waited approx. 30 minutes until it hung, stopped it using
Ctrl+C, restarted, waited, killed, ... (many times).

I assume you would have got a TCP timeout sooner or later, if you didn't
terminate monotone before that. Or the TCP connection would have been
able to resume. What connection are you on?

Feel free to test this server. The maintainer will probably not protest
as the server is useless without a working monotone.

Wait a second. Monotone *is* working, probably not quite for you, as it
seems to trigger some network related issues. Let me try to find the
problem you are facing! See below...

I? Sorry, I don't now anything about openembedded or monotone. I'm a
subversion/CVS user most of the time :-(
So, do you mind sharing any other impressions you got from using monotone. Do you understand or even like it? I'd like to hear more ;-)

Sorry, all I know up to know are basic commands of monotone. A
distributed revision control system has many advantages, but I have only
very minor experiences (mostly with darcs) with such systems. I will dig
into the documentation ...

Okay, that's fine. Thanks.

But currently it is just to slow.

Uhm.. yeah.. netsync only or is there something else you think is too slow?

And besides: what version do you ues?

I posted this already: 0.31 (Debian Etch).

Sorry, must have missed that bit of info. Thanks.

You might want to upgrade to the newest monotone release. Binary
packages for Debian are available from the monotone.ca website.

Okay, I've tried to pull the openembedded repository from scratch. After six hours, these are my results:

$ mtn --version
monotone 0.33 (base revision: cfebc8eb7049def476cc5fd61fef64eb14120e68)

$ time mtn -d oe.db pull monotone.openembedded.org "*"
mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
mtn: connecting to monotone.openembedded.org
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
mtn:    16.1 k |       462 |        0 |       0
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out |      certs in |       revs in
mtn:    63.4 M |       462 | 42,548/64,630 | 10,686/16,148
mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer monotone.openembedded.org, disconnecting

real    137m32.758s
user    102m21.388s
sys     1m4.308s

$ time mtn -d oe.db pull monotone.openembedded.org "*"
mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
mtn: connecting to monotone.openembedded.org
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
mtn:       32,361 |   39 |    10,686
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
mtn:     2.6 M |     2.0 M |        0 |       0
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out |      certs in |     revs in
mtn:    37.3 M |     2.0 M | 22,082/22,082 | 5,462/5,462
mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer monotone.openembedded.org, disconnecting

real    215m31.677s
user    126m26.182s
sys     1m21.957s

$ time mtn -d oe.db pull monotone.openembedded.org "*"
mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
mtn: connecting to monotone.openembedded.org
mtn: finding items to synchronize:
mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
mtn:       48,928 |   48 |    16,148
mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
mtn:    15.2 k |    10.9 k |      8/8 |     2/2
mtn: successful exchange with monotone.openembedded.org

real    1m34.844s
user    0m12.189s
sys     0m0.324s

So that took almost six hours... but most importantly: I've also experienced the disconnects. Only two times for all the 16k revisions, though. Does anybody else have any idea what's going on here?

Regards

Markus