Re: [Monotone-devel] keyring integration from a user POV

From: Justin Patrin
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] keyring integration from a user POV
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:56:26 -0700

On 4/13/07, Benoît Dejean <address@hidden> wrote:
Le mardi 10 avril 2007 à 09:45 -0700, Justin Patrin a écrit :
> On 4/9/07, Benoît Dejean <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > No, ssh-add is not popping up a graphical prompt. gnome-keyring is.
> > > There's a chain of processes here at work.
> > > * ssh-add -l is asking for a list of keys from the agent
> > > * ssh-agent looks for its list of keys
> >
> > (Do you think i should fill a bug against ssh-agent because it tries to
> > unlock my keys just to list them ?)
>
> I'm not sure. I would think you'd normally have your keys unlocked
> when logged in....do you lock them after a certain amount of time? Any
> program that needs to use your keys would likely cause them to unlock.
> Don't you have to enter your password when you ssh as well?

I am concerned about having to unlock all my keys on startup where is
would prefer to unlock them on first use.

Well, monotone can't know what key to use or if your key is in
ssh-agent until it lists the keys....or perhaps I could construct the
public part and send it to ssh-agent and watch for an error...that's
an interesting possibility, I'll try to take a look at it.

> > > * seahorse-agent notices that you want to look at the key and asks
> > > gnome-keyring for the password to decrypt it so that it can be added
> > > to the agent
> > > * gnome-password asks for your master passphrase to unlock your key
> > > passphrase (or just asks for your passphrase for the key depending on
> > > how you have it set up)
> > >
> > > Then back the other way
> > >
> > > * gnome-password passes the passphrase back to seahorse-agent
> > > * seahorse-agent uses the passphrase to decrypt your key and pass it
> > > to ssh-agent
> > > * ssh-agent adds the key to its in-memory keystore and passes the list
> > > of keys to ssh-add
> > > * ssh-add lists your keys
> > >
> > > Or something close to that anyway. mtn uses ssh-agent, not
> > > gnome-keychain or seahorse-agent so it asks for the passphrase itself.
> >
> > Hum OK. Somthing is really inconsistent here because "ssh-add -l" uses a
> > graphical prompt where "ssh-add key" doesn't. Or maybe i don't
> > understand. I have to reread this thread.
>
> It's not inconsistent. It makes perfect sense, in fact. ssh-add -l is
> only listing keys so ssh-agent and hence seahorse and gnome-keychain
> are the ones loading the keys and causing the prompts. When you
> ssh-add key ssh-add is the one loading the key and hence needs your
> password.

OK

> > I have tried to import my mtn.key in seahorse but the key fails to load
> > "file:///home/monotone/mtn_benoit
> > 0x7f7f7f7flacenet.org.key: Invalid file format"
> >

> Sounds like seahorse doesn't support all of the key formats that
> ssh-agent/add does. I had to patch SSHKeychain to make it allow
> importing of this format.

Have you forwarded this patch upstream ?

Yes but I got no response, IIRC. The patch is also on the monotone wiki:
http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/MonotoneAndSSHAgent

--
Justin Patrin