[Monotone-devel] Policy branches?

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Policy branches?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 13:46:55 +0100

Quoting from IRC:

        Necronom_       Hrm. Is work ongoing on policy branches?

As far as I can tell, Nathaniel's email has an idea that works up to
unmerged policy heads, and then there are problems that don't seem
easily resolvable.

Paul's email didn't seem to say what would happen with unmerged policy
branches, but otherwise it look attractive in the sense that it avoids
fiddling with branch or key naming and doesn't require any netsync
changes.

Graydon't outline
<http://www.venge.net/mtn-wiki/VersionedPolicy/Graydon> avoids the
hairy problems that Nathaniel describes by disallowing cycles: all the
branches are in layers, so a policy branch can't affect itself.

While that's not as featureful as one might want (I imagine some
changes will involve out of band user configuration), it seems simple.
I'd imagine it would also be workable in practice.

Am I missing anything?  (Ah, Timothy's email.  I need to reread that,
but IIRC it was more a user view than implementation approach.)