Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: xmtn: Emacs integration via DVC

From: Christian Ohler
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: xmtn: Emacs integration via DVC
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:03:36 +0200

Bruce Stephens, 2007-04-12:

Bruce Stephens, 2007-04-11:

That is, I want to see changes between my workspace and some revision
other than the workspace's base revision.
[...]
I was imagining that C-x V = might do this with a prefis argument, but
on reflection I guess that wouldn't make so much sense, since usually
you'd be using the command to see what to commit, so it might be
confusing if it was too easy to get it to show something else.

Actually, to see what to commit, you're supposed to use C-x V s (dvc-status), but you can't, since it isn't implemented properly in xmtn yet. That's why xmtn-readme.txt currently recommends using C-x V = for this.

But your observation is correct that committing from the diff buffer is dangerous if the diff you're looking at is not the diff between your current workspace and its base revision. I'd almost call that a design flaw in DVC's diff mode. Committing from the diff buffer should probably be disabled altogether. (It needs to stay until xmtn can offer an alternative, though.)

The reason why xmtn doesn't have a proper implementation of dvc-status yet is that xmtn doesn't have a parser for mtn automate inventory; I was hoping to be able to use a basic_io variant of automate inventory instead (since xmtn has a basic_io parser). The code for a basic_io variant of automate inventory exists on a branch but has unfortunately never been finished.

Christian.