Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] basic_io inventory
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 20:56:51 -0400

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniel Carosone <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> So I'd like to add an option to not output any info for files that are
>>> currently up-to-date. That would save significant time both in running
>>> 'mtn automate inventory' and in parsing the output in Emacs.
>>
>> Really only the latter; we still need to examine the workspace to
>> determine the file is up to date so we could then not list it, and
>> that's by far the majority of the time.
>
> It would be interesting to measure.

I did a simple measurement. For 'mtn automate inventory' on the
monotone workspace, with the full basic_io output, it takes 36 seconds
on my machine.

I then commented out the output part of the code (everything after
inventory_filesystem in AUTOMATE(inventory, "[PATH]...",
seconds.

That's a significant savings.

It's probably possible to save even more by not allocating memory to
hold the inventory for stanzas we won't print; that's a much more
invasive change to the current code.

--
-- Stephe