Re: [Monotone-devel] Workspace merge?

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Workspace merge?
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:59:04 -0700

On 7/11/07, William Uther <address@hidden> wrote:
   What's happening with the net.venge.monotone.workspace-merge*
branches?  Do any work?  Which are up-to-date?

All those branches are either thoroughly dead or merged to mainline already :-)

No work has been done since the summit.  The present state of play is,
you can do 'mtn merge_into_workspace <revision>' which will merge
<revision> with the current workspace's parent (I forget what happens
if there are local changes; I think it errors out) and dump the result
into the workspace.  You can mess with that as you like and commit it
once you're happy.
However, conflict resolution is just like 'mtn merge' -- if there are
file-content conflicts, you have to resolve them immediately, and if
there are name conflicts it errors out.

   What is still required to make it possible to merge in a workspace?

I'm hoping to work on this some this summer, but I'd be very glad of
help.  The next step is to write code that can take an arbitrary
conflicted roster_merge_result (see roster_merge.cc) and serialize it
into _MTN/conflicts (or some such file); also to fix up the conflicted
roster to be "sane" (per check_sane()) and make all the conflicted
files visible in the workspace.  Then we'll have to go fix all the UI
that doesn't know how to deal with a workspace in that state, and
write a new resolution UI.

There are also a few commands that haven't been fixed up for a
two-parent, no-conflict workspace; I don't remember which ones, but
they should be listed on the wiki.

zw