Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:49:17 +0200

Stephen Leake schrieb:
> I'd like to get nvm.basic_io.inventory merged into the main line.
> Emacs DVC is working well with the current implementation. It would be
> good to get this into the released version.

Have you been able to sort out all of the remaining issues, f.e.
incomplete output in a directory-restricted case (renames)? I haven't
had the time to look at the code recently.

> Last week I merged nvm into nvm.basic_io.inventory. All of the
> automate inventory tests are passing; some others are failing, but I
> think those are being worked on the main line. I fixed the uses of
> split_path in automate inventory.
>
> I have updated monotone.texi.

Cool! Thanks for your work!

> What remains to be done?
>
> There are tests in tests/automate_inventory_path/ that are marked with
> FIXME: I guess we should fix those, or at least change them to
> expected failures.

Well, this is the point where I'm a bit unsure - shall we replace an
incomplete, buggy format then with another less incomplete (not
complete), less buggy (not bugfree) format? Or is this more a "anything
is better than the current solution"-deal?

> The format for outputing the root directory is still problematic. I
> think the simplest solution is to simply not output it; in Emacs DVC,
> we just drop that directory from any display.

I don't think of it as a good idea. You're effectively hiding two kind
of information by this: pivot_root-renames and attr sets/drops on the
workspace root. So IMHO we really should find a way to display it
somehow. Even if we display it as a non-standard item, but we should not
omit it.

Thomas.

--
only dead fish swim with the stream: http://thomaskeller.biz/blog