Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory

From: Derek Scherger
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Changes in nvm.basic_io.inventory
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:43:58 -0600

Thomas Keller wrote:
> Have you been able to sort out all of the remaining issues, f.e.
> incomplete output in a directory-restricted case (renames)? I haven't
> had the time to look at the code recently.

I think I know what's wrong here and I've been meaning to fix it for a
long time but never quite seem to get around to it. I'll try to do
something in the next little while.

> Well, this is the point where I'm a bit unsure - shall we replace an
> incomplete, buggy format then with another less incomplete (not
> complete), less buggy (not bugfree) format? Or is this more a "anything
> is better than the current solution"-deal?

Yeah. Perhaps we should just document inventory's output format as less
stable that the rest of the automate output or something. Considering
that it's one of the more (if not the most) complicated automate output
format perhaps this would be acceptable.

Or we host two different inventory commands "inventory" and
"x-inventory" where the x indicates experimental or something that can
still be available in production versions of monotone.

Hrm... this makes me thing of the underscores-become-dashes experiment I
did a while ago in net.venge.monotone.experiment.commands-with-dashes. ;)

>> The format for outputing the root directory is still problematic. I
>> think the simplest solution is to simply not output it; in Emacs DVC,
>> we just drop that directory from any display.

Let's use a "." and start a trend! ;)

Cheers,
Derek