[Monotone-devel] style question

From: Ben Walton
Subject: [Monotone-devel] style question
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:48:57 -0400

Hi All,

I'm adding 2 options to montone.  The first is a --daemon to be used
by mtn serve as mentioned a few days back.  This is very straight
forward, but it raises the questions of what to do with logs...

To that effect, I'm also planning on adding --syslog.  Again, syslog
is pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure of the best way to plumb
it in.  Initially, I had thought to add it to app_state, but that
didn't fit nicely like I wanted.  ui would be a better fit for the
plumbing, but I'm not sure if it should go there when it's not user
interface per se.

Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions about this?

My thinking is that --daemon will imply --syslog (which could of
course be enabled separately if desired as well), so that even if the
call to daemon() fails for some reason, a message can still be
recorded somewhere (syslog crapiness aside).  I'm hoping then, that
when running in the background, things like: address@hidden connected
and exchanged 3 revs in and 2 out (or some such) can be logged for
posterity...

Thanks.
-Ben
Ben Walton <address@hidden>

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When
many people suffer from a delusion it is called Religion.
Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance