Re: [Monotone-devel] style question

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] style question
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:18:28 -0500

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 14:48 -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm adding 2 options to montone.  The first is a --daemon to be used
> by mtn serve as mentioned a few days back.  This is very straight
> forward, but it raises the questions of what to do with logs...
>
> To that effect, I'm also planning on adding --syslog.  Again, syslog
> is pretty straight forward, but I'm not sure of the best way to plumb
> it in.  Initially, I had thought to add it to app_state, but that
> didn't fit nicely like I wanted.  ui would be a better fit for the
> plumbing, but I'm not sure if it should go there when it's not user
> interface per se.
>
> Does anyone have thoughts or suggestions about this?

It should go in the same place as --log, which turns out to be ui. And
I'd guess also unix/ and win32/, since I doubt that whatever Windows'
equivalent of syslog is is accessed the same was as *nix syslog.

> My thinking is that --daemon will imply --syslog (which could of
> course be enabled separately if desired as well), so that even if the
> call to daemon() fails for some reason, a message can still be
> recorded somewhere (syslog crapiness aside).  I'm hoping then, that
> when running in the background, things like: address@hidden connected
> and exchanged 3 revs in and 2 out (or some such) can be logged for
> posterity...

Yes. But if --log is given, it should override the implicit --syslog.
I'd also assume that --syslog should imply --ticker=none .

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net