Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking

From: Julio M. Merino Vidal
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:22:43 +0200

On Sep 11, 2007, at 2:18 AM, William Uther wrote:

On 10/09/2007, at 7:49 PM, Thomas Keller wrote:

Hi all!

I've noticed that the changelog some people use for monotone is not
quite "GNU-style". I'm sure you all hacked stuff longer than me, so you
can correct me at any time, but aren't we forced to use some kind of
GNU-style syntax to make it easier to create a ChangeLog file afterwards (for whatever distributions need that)? If not, everybody is - of course
- free to use whatever format they do like.

I don't like to start a bikeshed discussion here, I just want to be
clear. I think it would also be a good idea to include the rules of
whatever consense we find here in HACKING.

I think including the rules in HACKING would be a good idea.

Out of interest, who actually converts log messages directly to change logs? I would have thought that most people who distribute Monotone would find the more abstract
changes described in the NEWS file more relevant.

Indeed. Personally I have never found ChangeLogs that useful *if* I can resort to the development repository to look for the information I need. And in the case of Monotone it's clear that doing that is possible :-) Browsing through the repository archives is usually easier, more descriptive and far more accurate than what a ChangeLog can say.

For packagers (at least for me, again ;-) the NEWS files are much more useful than ChangeLogs because you can quickly get an idea of the most important changes between releases. The exact changes to files is irrelevant, unless you are looking for a specific bug fix for example. (And even in this last case, ChangeLogs are annoying because the information may be spread among multiple entries making it difficult to grasp what happened except for people very familiar with the code.)

I'd vote for ditching ChangeLog-style commit messages in favor of more descriptive ones (using the approach of a "subject line" at the beginning and a large description in the subsequent paragraphs). Why? First of all, Monotone already records the exact changes to the files, and mtn log will tell you which of them were modified, added, removed, etc. There is no need to repeat that in the message. And second, this can prevent committing unrelated changes in a single commit. Using a ChangeLog approach, it is often very tempting to write a message as:

* a.cc, b.cc: Did blah, blah, blah.
* z.cc: Fixed an unrelated typo.

This commit would be conceptually incorrect because it's doing two things at the same time. Using ChangeLog-style messages seems to encourage this approach. Using plain text messages will make one think twice before doing that, because he'll have to explain *why* he is committing that at once.

Julio M. Merino Vidal <address@hidden>