Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking

From: Hugo Cornelis
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:00:49 -0500

On 9/11/07, Richard Levitte <address@hidden> wrote:
> You're talking about two different kinds of documentations.  When I
> update my workspace, or even better, when I'm about to, and I want to
> know what will happen, the most natural is to check out the log.  If
> all the log says is that this and that function was created, this and
> that function was removed, this and that file was renamed to such and
> such, it tells me absolutely NOTHING.

Yes, I often find myself in that situation to.  I think here is a way
to support two different levels of logging in monotone:

Using certs, it is possible to link sets of revisions to an entry in
an external log file.  Then each entry in the external log file can
contain a global description of what happened for this set of
revisions.

That way, and with the help of some shell scripts, you can support two
different levels of logging.  Thinking about it, I would like to see
the second level of logging be connected with test cases, for some of
my own projects.

I think code reviewers, packagers and team leaders might find such a
feature useful, because it might improve communication in a software
team.

Hugo

--
                    Hugo Cornelis Ph.D.

                  Research Imaging Center
   University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
                    7703 Floyd Curl Drive
                 San Antonio, TX  78284-6240

                    Phone: 210 567 8112
                      Fax: 210 567 8152