Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] monotone Hacking
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:01:21 -0400

Derek Scherger <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
>> I have wondered about the proper format/content for changes in nvm.
>> I'd appreciate some written guidance in HACKING.
>
> If nothing else the current ChangeLog file does give a bit of info about
> this along with saying that it is no longer used.

Ok, that is helpful. Perhaps that file should be mentioned in HACKING;
I would not think to look in Changelog for instructions on writing
commit messages :).

> I'm with Zack on the value inherent in the process of writing a detailed
> changelog message. I see it as my own personal code review and often
> find things that need a little tweak or think of things that should also
> be done, whether in the current change or in some later one.

It is definitely worth doing the review. And documenting the results
of the review in the commit message is not a problem. (Note that you
_could_ simply record the results in some other file, or just delete
them when the review is complete).

But after you document the detailed changes to each file, you could step
back and write a summary of the change at the top of the message,
stating the overall purpose of the change.

And then in the detailed list of changes, clearly separate those involved
in the main change from the "other minor changes".

--
-- Stephe