Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Request for help adding monotone output to cvs2

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Request for help adding monotone output to cvs2svn
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:08:36 -0700

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 12:44:06PM +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Right. For every tag and branchpoint which cannot be matched to exactly
> only one revision, you'll have to add an artificial revisions which you
> can tag. (AFAICT, git allows such an artificial revision to have
> multiple parents, monotone does only allow two parentsn. So for
> monotone, you'll have to add multiple artificial revisions).

Or just pick whichever single parent is the closest match, and write
out the tag as a child of that.  Mapping the exact CVS ancestry for
the files in tag revisions into monotone is really far from being a
high priority part of cvs conversions... and honestly making tag
revisions octopus merges won't really preserve the file history in any
meaningful way anyway.  I'd say just put some metadata in
(cvs:revision attrs, or whatever) and leave it at that.

The Universe may  /  Be as large as they say
But it wouldn't be missed  /  If it didn't exist.
  -- Piet Hein