Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template

From: Timothy Brownawell
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Monotone Commit Template
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 11:28:19 -0500

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 17:45 +0200, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hello Pablo,
>
> I'm not quite sure what exactly the use case for such a template is. The
> example you gave is certainly not convincing:
>
> Pablo Delgado wrote:
> > Example:
> >
> > PR Number:
>
> A Purchase Requisition number? Or what's that PR supposed to mean?

"Problem Report", I believe. Like bugs, except it also includes feature
requests and such.

> Anyway, IMO it's better practice to add application specific
> certificates, instead of embedding such information in the changelog.
> Makes it a lot easier to process later on.

Maybe, maybe not. Somewhat easier to do complex processing perhaps, but
harder to do simple things like "look at the log and see what's changed
since $foo".

> > Submitted By:
> > Reviewed By:
> > Approved By:
>
> I suppose, at least one of these is already covered by the 'author'
> certificate. And again, for everything else I also recommend
> certificates rather than stuffing that into the changelog.
>

> To me, this sounds much more like a request for making these things
> simpler to use, i.e. sending a request for approval of a newly committed
> revision to somebody else or stuff like that.

Well, it depends on your workflow and level of formality.

Just because things *can* be split out into separate certs doesn't mean
they always *should* be. Maybe this would change somewhat if we had a
much better interface for specifying and viewing these certs (and could
make them take up less space in the db...), but since we don't there can
be significant overhead for limited gain.

Such a UI would need to know how to display things in "mtn log"; where
would the formatting info come from? It has to be per project, so likely
policy branches. But we don't have those yet, and probably won't for
quite a while.

--
Timothy

Free (experimental) public monotone hosting: http://mtn-host.prjek.net