Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: zlib vs gzip
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 23:45:33 -0700

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 11:30:08AM -0400, Jack Lloyd wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 08:00:11AM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > I'd like to point out that the #1 easiest thing anyone could do right
> > now to speed up monotone is get hand-optimized assembly SHA1
> > implementations into our copy of botan.  That one function shows up as
> > at least 7% of runtime every single time I profile it, doesn't matter
> > what the task is.
>
> Oh: and how can one go about properly profiling monotone?

See also the branch net.venge.monotone.contrib.benchmark, which has
a little benchmark harness with pieces for running various commands
under different profilers, some stuff for generating synthetic test
DBs (though IIRC the DBs generated are not very realistic ATM because
they contain no merges), etc.  It certainly doesn't do everything, but
it can be some pretty handy things as is, and is easy to extend.
(The idea is that it isn't any harder to add a new test to this than
to write an ad-hoc test script, and then you get a lot more
flexibility and reusability.)

"The problem...is that sets have a very limited range of
activities -- they can't carry pianos, for example, nor drink
beer."