[Monotone-devel] state of the monotone tools?

From: Kelly F. Hickel
Subject: [Monotone-devel] state of the monotone tools?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:57:07 -0600

Hi all,
        We've been contemplating  an end-of-year sort of timeframe for
switching to monotone, so I decided to take a look around and see how
the various tools *around* monotone were coming.  I'm a bit
concerned....

        The tool that I'm most concerned about replacing is
viewvc/bonsai (we currently use both). One feature that we use quite a
lot is to list all revisions made to a particular file (or directory) in
a certain timeframe.  Or, what changes did so and so make within the
entire repo during some timeframe.

>From what I can see, the possible candidates to replace our use of
viewvc are:

* viewmtn
        Seems like the front runner, semi-active and does a lot of what
viewvc does.  Author notes that it can't do a visual diff of two
arbitrary revision (but viewvc can).  Doesn't seem to have either of
browse type features listed above.

* guitone
        Has some nice features, doesn't seem that active.  Supposed to
implement at least the first of the above features, but perhaps only
when querying a workspace, not a database.  Didn't seem to work when I
tried a windows binary that I downloaded.

* monotone-viz
        Not sure about this one, haven't tried it in awhile.  IIRC it
did a lot of what I wanted the last time I played with it, but seemed
slow and a bit quirky.... (sorry), I'm downloading what I hope is a more
recent windows binary, but it's not moving too fast at the moment.

* monotree
        The contrib./tools page lists two versions, one java and one
.net, but both links go to the .net version.  The .net version can't be
used in a commercial environment, so is no good to me.

Has anyone made an effort to try and get viewvc to speak monotone?  I
may try it myself (although since I don't use python it won't be that
quick) but if someone knows of a reason it won't work, I'd like to know
in advance....

Thanks,

--

Kelly F. Hickel