Re: [Monotone-devel] state of the monotone tools?

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] state of the monotone tools?
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 11:41:43 -0800

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 10:57:07AM -0600, Kelly F. Hickel wrote:
>       The tool that I'm most concerned about replacing is
> viewvc/bonsai (we currently use both). One feature that we use quite a
> lot is to list all revisions made to a particular file (or directory) in
> a certain timeframe.

This is 'mtn log <file or dir>', except that doesn't restrict to a
particular time frame.  I'm not sure what behavior you would want
there given mtn's lack of a consistent clock.  Adding '--from' and
'--to' can let you select spans in the graph's history.

> Or, what changes did so and so make within the
> entire repo during some timeframe.

This takes slightly more scripting, but is still relatively
straightforward.  The selector 'a:<so-and-so>' selects all revisions
whose author cert is <so-and-so>, and you can do things like
  mtn automate select a:so-and-so \
  | mtn automate toposort address@hidden \
  | xargs -n1 mtn log --last=1 --from

None of this is web/gui-fical, but thought I'd throw it out there in
case it helped.

Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould