[Monotone-devel] Botan memory allocator

From: Jack Lloyd
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Botan memory allocator
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:08:03 -0500

Nathaniel sent me an email a while back asking why the Botan memory
allocators went through the pool abstracation even when just plain
malloc was being used (and mentioning that pathalogical cases in the
pool were causing problems, though I think that was only the 1.4
allocator). I can't find that email now, but in any case, I recently
checked in a change along those lines into mainline:

$ mtn diff -r 4ec5d2416820ad055e9dee8a18fd7ea633d1b453
-rbd5dca9380238843aa20d44cb9c0b77059edcd65 include/defalloc.h src/defalloc.cpp
[output attached]

The locking and mmap allocators still go through the pool, but IIRC
Monotone explicitly avoids those allocators.

I have no idea if this change will help/hurt/have no effect on
Monotone performance.

-Jack