Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import

From: Markus Schiltknecht
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: cvs_import
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:51:10 +0100

Hey Lapo,

Lapo Luchini wrote:
Richard Levitte wrote:
markus> Please let me know if you have an urgent desire for importing
markus> a specific CVS repository or if you'd like to test importing
markus> one yourself.
And I will try FreeBSD anytime soon.

It always stops at version 101454 like this:

mtn: branches | versions
mtn:        0 |   101454 contrib/ncurses/menu/m_items.c,vterminate
called after throwing an instance of 'Botan::Memory_Exhaustion'

How much memory do you have on that machine? On my 64bit Linux, the FreeBSD import peaks at about 1.6 Gb of needed memory. The import doesn't run through, though. It hits another invariant later on.

I've discovered that I have a less-than-optimal in-memory representation of the repository. A gcc-cvs import easily goes up to > 5 Gb memory (I've killed the process before, as my box here has 6 Gb).

In the next days, I'll try to reduce the memory requirements somewhat.

Regards

Markus