Re: [Monotone-devel] deterministic mark merge question

From: William Uther
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] deterministic mark merge question
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:50:38 +1100

On 19/11/2007, at 3:37 AM, Timothy Brownawell wrote:

     a*<1> b*<2> c*<3>
      \   /      |
       \ /       |
       {a,b}<4>  |
       /   \    /
      /     \  /
     c*<5>  {a,b,c}<6>
      \     /
       \   /
        c<7>

The mark sets here all have the same nodes as before. But this time, the
mark set of 7 (which is {3,5}) all have the same value (which is c).
Since all the values are the same, node 7 has value c instead of being a
conflict.

Thanks for the quick response. That's what I thought, although I was unsure about whether the example above ended up as a conflict or not.

I also find it interesting that the value of a node can no longer be calculated from its parents and their mark sets. You actually need the values at the marked nodes to get the value at the merged node in some cases.

Be well,

Will         :-}