Re: [Monotone-devel] hang on Win32/MinGW with sync file:

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] hang on Win32/MinGW with sync file:
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 00:16:54 +0000

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 07:04:28PM -0500, Stephen Leake wrote:
> Although I think using sockets would open up a security hole; file:
> runs the server with --no-transport-auth. So for a brief time an
> external machine could attach to the server.

Surely win32 sockets can be bound to loopback, so only local processes
can connect?  That doesn't *fully* close the hole, but it helps.

What would fully close the hole would be to generate a random nonce,
and send it over the socket as the first thing we do -- since we hold
both ends of the socket, we know what random nonce to expect, but
no-one else would.  This could be fully hidden within the "socketpair"
code (i.e., it would transmit and receive the nonce to check the
connection before returning the sockets).

Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen