Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki monotone support

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] ikiwiki monotone support
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:14:48 -0500

On Jan 13, 2008 1:53 AM, Brian May <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just trying to get monotone support in ikiwiki going.

That would be nifty.

> 1. Any reason why the Debian package doesn't install the Monotone.pm
> file by default?

No one's ever asked for it before; also, looking at it, it doesn't
seem ready for prime time to me.  You point out some of the problems
yourself...

If you were interested in improving Monotone.pm to the point where it
wouldn't be an embarrassment to the archive, I'd be happy to add a
monotone-perl binary package.

Incidentally, do you have access to Debian/alpha gear?  The #1
outstanding problem with the existing monotone packages for Debian is
that they don't reliably build on alpha.  I *think* this is a compiler
issue but I can't prove it because I don't have access to alpha
hardware (debian or otherwise).

> 2. Defaults for --confdir --rcfile --keydir seem can't be changed. The
> defaults seem to be strange.

I don't see any settings of these in Monotone.pm -- so you're getting
the defaults for the binary.

> [Sun Jan 13 17:28:58 2008] [error] [client 192.168.200.251] mtn: misuse: no
> key pair 'address@hidden' found in key store '/root/.monotone/keys', referer:
> http://wiki.microcomaustralia.com.au/wiki.cgi
>
> even though the process is running as www-data (at least there is no
> reason it shouldn't be), and the home directory for www-data is
> /var/www. So /root/.monotone would seem to be slightly inappropriate.

Is it possible that $HOME (the environment variable) is /root even
though the process is running as www-data?  The binary looks at $HOME
first.

zw