Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone

From: Thomas Keller
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: Future of monotone
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 23:37:18 +0100

Markus Schiltknecht schrieb:
Oops, yeah, I forgot about the comment field. Let's try it again:

CREATE TABLE new_revision_certs
(
    hash not null unique, -- consistency checking hash
    rev_id not null,      -- joins with revisions.id
    name not null,        -- name of the cert
    date not null,        -- timestamp of the cert
    comment,              -- optional comment on the cert
    value not null,       -- the tag name or test result value
    author not null,
    signer not null,
    signature not null
);

With that table, we would have a reduction to the following certs:

 - 'commit(-message)' certificate  (where changelog -> comment and
                                    branchname -> value)
 - 'tag' certificate               (tagname -> value)
 - 'test-result' certificate.      (test result -> value)

Every cert, even "private" ones, would then be required to also have a date and an author. Optionally also a comment.

Does it really make sense to have an author field for anything beside a commit cert? If you tag or test something, you do not become the author of anything, you just mark something somehow. When I look at the proposed database table schemes so far I somehow have the impression that we rather have a hard time of applying the same metadata which fit perfectly for non-commit certs on commit certificates - i.e. tag, branch, suspend and testresult perfectly fit into the (name,value,comment?,date,signer,signature) tuple scheme, just commit certs do not because they can optionally have an author which is different from the signer. Is it really so important that the author of a change deserves a separate field instead of just getting honored full-text in the commit message itself? Or if we have both, value and comment, that we put the author in the comment field of a commit cert?

Thomas.